Important Thing You Need To Know About Grain Free Dog Food

Important Thing You Need To Know About Grain Free Dog Food

The dilemma that comes with healthy eating such as, gluten-free “grain free” and which has become a popular phrase drives men to their extreme. Owing to the demands of grain free dog food, groceries have made available shelf space for these cereals, crackers, cookies and cakes among others.  Therefore, it’s shocking that dogs too are allergic to grains.

The evolution of dogs from a primitive wild animal to internet celebrities is stunning. Ancestral man allowed dogs to hunt protein-rich meals until during the World War II, when man introduced the inexpensive dog food that comprised of wheat, barley and corn to increase affordability. This practice is common among major commercial dog food manufactures that list corn and wheat as their main ingredients. 

As much as dogs have evolved into internet celebrities, their digestive system is still primitive and does not support the break-down of complex carbohydrates and cereal grains leaving the poor animal to rely on fermentation to breakdown the food over a long period of time. This damages its digestive system lining triggering food allergies, obesity, inflammation disorders and a leaky gut.  

Why do you need grain free dog food? Dog allergies are common. The following are signs that your pup is suffering from food allergy.

  • Suffering from frequent ear infections, Vomiting and loose stool, skin rush and irritation.

According to statistics, there are certain dog breeds that are susceptible to grain related allergies. They include; Boxer, Collie, Retriever, Spring Spaniel, Dachshund and West Highland white Terrier.

Benefits of grain free dog food

According to Doster research, carbohydrate and grain ration in adog’s food should not exceed 10%, while the remaining 90%contains vegetables and proteins. However, it’s the moist and freeze-dried grain feed that is rich in protein, fewer carbohydrates and fats, thus easily digestible. Additionally, grain free foods are rich in proteins (keeps you full for longer and gives your dog energy), thus saves you lots of cash.

How will you know if grain free food is the right choice for your dog? First, is your dog happy with its current meal? Prior to making any changes, consult with a vet and always, while buying your dog’s food, check that the manufactures list proteins as one of the main ingredients. 

If you opt to switch to a grain free dog food from a grain based, do it in a gradual manner. This is the only way that allows your pup’s digestive system to gradually adapt to the new change. Lastly, check on your pooch’s stool for diarrhea, itching, hair loss and lost appetite which are not good signs.

What about your puppies? Too much protein is harmful to their kidneys. Consult with a pet nutritionist for recommendations on the nutritive needs of the puppy. Regardless of your efforts, will your dog go grain free? The bottom line is, even with grain free dog food at hand, how will your pooch accept and adjust to the new changes?

Please follow and like us:
0